Saturday, October 20, 2012

Green Bean Casserole


This was always a favorite growing up and one of my first challenges after going vegan. In my search for a solution I found one of my favorite (and now revitalized) sites: VeganYumYum. I was very proud to serve this to my boyfriend when we first met but he quickly protested the gravy with the simple statement: I hate mushrooms. I, of course, took this as a personal challenge. As always, I've added my own changes to the recipe and listed the original below.

Serves 4
20 minutes

1 lb Fresh Green Beans
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Cups Mushrooms
2 Ribs Celery, diced
4 Tbsp Earth Balance Margarine
4 Tbsp King Aurthur's Gluten-Fee Flour
1 to 1 1/2 Cups Almond Milk
Salt to taste
1 tsp Thyme
1/4 Crushed Red Peppers
1/8  Liquid Smoke
S*#! ton Black Pepper (probably 1/2 tsp)
Walnuts for garnish, roughly chopped

1.Start your steaming mechanism. I throw the mushrooms in a food processor for a more smooth gravy texture. Heat up the EVOO in a skillet and saute mushrooms, celery and a pinch of salt for a hot minute, than remove to a bowl on the side.
2. Start steaming your green beans.
3. Meanwhile; melt "butter" in the same skillet, then add "flour" and whisk. Slowly add "milk", whisking all the way. When milk is all in, add your spices.
4. Add mushroom/celery combo. Add more milk as/if needed.
5. Assemble: green beans down first, dollop of gravy, throw them walnuts on top.

The boyfriend completely approves of the newest version btw.

Original recipe from VeganYumYum 
My Asshole Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment