Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Broccoli Edamame Pesto


I tend to hodgepodge gluten-free recipes with vegan recipes. Honestly, if I didn't, we probably wouldn't have much of anything to eat. This isn't really an example of that per say but it is a combo of two recipes I thought were genius. When I stumbled upon this NYTimes Broccoli Pesto I knew I had to mash it together with an edamame pesto I've long since memorized. Bonus: 1 serving packs as much protein as a chicken breast. Take that herbivore haters!

Serves 4
20 minutes

8oz Edamame, thawed
1/2 Lb Broccoli
3 Garlic cloves
1 cup Basil
3 Tbsp Nutrition yeast
3 Tbsp Olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Salt
1 Lb Quinoa Pasta

1. Get a pot of water boiling for your pasta and a pot for your edamame (broccoli too, if you steam like I do**)
2. Process your garlic and your basil.
3. Start cooking edamame and steam broccoli for 6 minutes. When they're both done, start cookin your pasta.
4. Add edamame, broccoli and remaining ingredients to processor. Process to nice, minced pesto consistency.
5. When pasta is done, drain and put back in your warm pot, mix in pesto and serve. So easy, so good.

** I don't know if this is common knowledge or how I discovered it myself. I do not own a steamer, I would consider them a waste of space. I just boil a couple inches of water in a medium size pot, place a mesh, all metal colander of selected vegetables inside the pot and put a small lid inside the colander, over the vegetables. The colander doesn't touch the bottom of the pot, it actually only goes down about half way into the pot. I hope I described this well enough. Any who, this method is perfect for this recipe because you can cook your edamame on the bottom and your broccoli on the top. Tah-daa!

Original Broccoli Pesto recipe from NYTimes
Comparable Edamame Pesto recipe at The PPK 

P.S. The garnish on this is a breaded squash that I will post the recipe for another day.
My Asshole Diet 

1 comment:

  1. That colander trick is one of the best things I've ever heard. Ever.

    ReplyDelete