Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Beet Hummus on Cucumber "Crackers"



I had this great idea to make a vegetable that tastes like dirt (which I enjoy, don't get me wrong) into a dessert. I peeled, cubed and roasted some beets in balsamic vinegar, what I got was some roasted beets that the boyfriend hated. Fail. Alas, I was not about to let 4 perfectly roasted beets go to waste and I happened to be throwing a party the next night.

Serves 4-6
1 hour (including the roast)

3-4 Beets, peeled and cubed
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
2 Tbsp tahini
1 Tbsp cumin
Pinch of salt
Lemon, juiced
A cucumber
Mint and 4-5 walnuts for garnish

1. Drizzle large foil square in olive oil, throw beets in foil and drizzle with 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Crunch foil around cubes. Roast at 375 for 45 min or so (You should be able to pierce the beet without it screaming). After cooked through, remove from oven and allow them to cool.
2. In the mean time: Peel cucumber roughly as to leave a lil green for prettiness. Slice into quarter inch rounds (The mandolin is my hero). Pull the tiny leafs and leaf tips off the mint. Roughly chop 4-5 walnuts.
3. In food processor add: cooled beets, tahini, cumin, salt and lemon juice. Process. If the consistency is off add a little water at a time.
4. Assemble. A dollop of beet hummus on a cucumber "cracker". Push the cute little leaf into the top of the hummus using your walnut shard. Assemble right before you serve as the beet red with soak into the cucumber and discolor it, making it unworthy of Martha Stewart.
5. Watch as you blow the mind's of your friends.
My Asshole Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment