Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Vegan Caesar Salad


Holy crap, this one is good. The boyfriend told me he would eat this everyday. Which is saying a lot because it's neither chicken, nor cinnamon roll. I'm sure if I cared, I could have made gluten-free croutons, but the idea of buying an entire loaf (or shall I say brick) of gluten-free bread just to make a hand full of croutons is foolish. Walnuts are better, I need not explain why.

Serves 4
10 minutes

Dressing
1 Tbsp Almond butter
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp Nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp Tamari
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp Olive oil

Garlic Garnish
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
4 Garlic cloves, sliced
1 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
Pinch of salt

1 bundle Romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
1/2 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
Black pepper

1. Mix all your dressing ingredients together in your salad bowl. I like my Caesar dressing on the thick side, if you do not, just add water till you get a consistency you like. Now, with the back of a spoon smear the dressing to coat the interior of the bowl, add your lettuce and toss. This will give all your little lettuce bites an even coating of dressing.
2. For the garlic garnish; in a small pot, heat your oil on medium heat.Toss your garlic slices in nutritional yeast and salt. When oil is heated put the garlic in till golden, about 1-2 minutes, it happens quick! Beware! With a slotted spoon remove from oil and place on paper towel.
3. Assemble. Lettuce, fresh ground pepper on top, a sprinkle of walnuts and toasted garlic.

Original dressing recipe from My New Roots

No comments:

Post a Comment