Monday, November 19, 2012

Mango Dal


Mangoes were on sale at the market this week so I picked a few up. If you've never cut open a mango before it can be kinda tricky. Here is a perfect little tutorial. I don't know if I'd hold it in my hand though. I mean I would,... because I did,... and I cut my hand.

Serves 4
40 minutes

1 cup Yellow lentil
4 cups Water
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground turmeric
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp Cumin
1 Medium yellow onion, diced
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp Fresh ginger, minced
2 tsp Ground coriander
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
2 Mangoes, cubed

This goes well over rice if you wanted to cook some up.

1. Combine lentil, water, 1 teaspoon salt and turmeric in a sauce pan. Bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Cube mangoes and set aside. Heat oil in a medium pot/pan. Add cumin 30 seconds before your onion, saute onion for about 5 minutes. Add in everything else EXCEPT your cubed mangoes. Saute for another minute.
3. Add onion mixture and mangoes to your lentils. Cook for 15 more minutes or so, stirring from time to time. Most of the water should be absorbed and lentils falling apart.
4. Chomp down on it!

Original recipe from Eating Well

No comments:

Post a Comment