Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Gluten-Free Pizza with Raw-cotta


What you put on your pizza defines you as a person. Deep, I know but, it's true. I studied topping to personal trait comparison for years while I worked at my neighborhood pizza shop in high school. That being said; I'm pretty sure my toppings reaffirm that I'm an a*#hole. Raw-cotta, basil and caramelized onions.

Crust
I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix and subbed Ener-G Eggs Replacer. It says to use moist hand to spread it out on your oiled cookie sheet. Screw that. Put your ball of dough in the middle of your sheet, lay a piece of wax paper over it and roll it out. Smush the edges together where needed.

Caramelized Onions
Caramelizing onions is more than just browning them. Actually, it's just like browning them, only in very slow motion.
1. Take your pan and a good two tablespoons of olive oil. Warm on medium heat, never turn the heat up. Ever. Use a yellow onion, trust me on this. Slice it into long pieces and throw them in your warmed oil with a little bit of sugar. Add more oil as needed.
2. Stir infrequently for about a half hour, until your onions look like Tan Mom. Remove from heat.

Raw-cotta
1 cup Macadamia nuts, soaked 8 hours
1/4 cup Pine nuts, soaked 4-6 hours
2 Garlic cloves
1 Tbsp Lemon juice (or juice of 1/2 lemon)
2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast
Cold water

Put all but the water in your food processor. Process until nuts are pretty well broken down. Add a few tablespoons of water at a time until some what creamy, some what textured, ricotta-eque softness of your dreams.

Assemble. Devour.

Raw-cotta original recipe from Julie's Raw Ambition

1 comment: